Quetta: Traders reject extension in lock-down

Must Read

Genocide is the only option in Balochistan – Pakistani Minister declares

A Pakistani minister in Balochistan, who is de-jure head of security apparatus in the region, has declared that genocide...

Aslam Baloch — The Baloch General – TBP Special report

For seventy years, through ups and downs, successes and failures, with rapid and slow pace, the Balochistan’s...

State’s deadly weapon, Shafiq Mengal – The Balochistan Post report

Strings of suicide bombing in Sindh's Shikarpur city and firing incident on BSO azad's rally in Khuzdar got connected...

Traders in Quetta have rejected the two-week extension in the lockdown announced by the Prime Minister and decided to open their businesses.

Speaking at a press conference after holding talks with the government, Abdul Rahim Kakar, president of the Anjuman Tajiran Balochistan, said that his organisation had decided to fully support the lockdown imposed by the government till April 21.

He, however, said that in the first phase dry-fruit market, shops of dates, agriculture products and tailors and restaurants would open in Quetta from Wednesday. The restaurants would only sell food in parcel, he added.

“We have already suffered huge financial losses due to the lockdown, but we cannot tolerate further losses,” he said and added that they had informed the provincial government regarding their reservations over the extension in lockdown.

He said a government delegation comprising Asghar Khan Achakzai, Saleem Khosa, the commissioner Quetta and a security official appreciated traders’ concerns.

“We have decided to reopen some businesses keeping in mind public needs. The government has announced to give interest-free loans to traders and the ration for 10 days to labourers,” he said.

In replying to a question about extension in the lockdown till April 30, he said the traders had already rejected it. “We are bound to accept the lockdown till April 21 in Balochistan,” Mr Kakar said.

SourceDawn News

Latest News

Deadly roads of Balochistan killed 123 and injured 1462 just in July

According to the statistics released by Balochistan Youth Civil Society (BYCS), an organisation that monitors road accidents...

Baloch journalist Sajid Hussain buried in his ancestral town in Balochistan

Baloch journalist Sajid Hussain was buried in his ancestral town near the bordering regions of Balochistan. His dead body was flown from...

Kech: 6 persons allegedly detained by a state-sponsored group

A state-sponsored ‘death squad’ has allegedly detained six persons from the Turbat, Kech, and relocated them to an undisclosed location.

Afghanistan: Anti-Pakistan protests held in Helmand and Kandahar

The native Pashtuns held protests against Pakistan in the Helmand and Kandahar provinces of Afghanistan in the wake of the recent cross-border...

Bomb attack wounds 4 Iranian soldiers in Sistan-Balochistan

Four Iranian police officers were injured in Zahedan on Wednesday. According to details, four Iranian policemen were wounded after...