In Quetta, Sardar Akhtar Mengal, the leader of the Balochistan National Party-Mengal (BNP-Mengal), has expressed his concern over what he believes is a deliberate plot that resulted in the disqualification of his and other party nominees’ candidacy papers, leaving them in a difficult situation.
He declared that the party’s central committee and cabinet have resolved to contest the disqualification of candidacy papers before the election tribunal and the Supreme Court. He added that if they don’t receive justice, they will bring the issue to the attention of the Balochistan populace.
At a press conference on Monday, where he was joined by senior vice president Sajid Tareen, Akhtar Langove, Prince Musa Jan, Maqbool Lehri, and other party nominees, he pledged that the party would remain steadfast on issues concerning Balochistan.
He affirmed the party’s commitment to continue its political and democratic fight to maintain the Constitution and the dominance of democratic institutions.
“The party’s central committee and cabinet held a meeting on Sunday and decided to approach the tribunal and Supreme Court to seek justice.
“Otherwise, we will go to the court of the people,” he stated.
He referred to the 2018 elections and noted that if the Aqama was a problem, it was also a problem when he ran previously.
Mengal stressed that any efforts to impose a puppet leadership on Balochistan by marginalizing the true representatives of the people would be vehemently opposed.
“The BNP has been voicing concerns for Balochistan and its issues, including the missing persons’ problem, at the national and provincial assemblies. That’s why institutions aim to sideline BNP, leading to this charade of nomination rejections.”
He mentioned incidents in the Sariab area of the provincial capital, where state institutions are knocking on people’s doors and asking about their voting choices.
Talking about the caretaker government, Mengal noted that their duty was to hold free and fair elections within 90 days and then resign. However, they resigned a day before the election schedule, appointed favorable returning officers, and are now running in the elections.
In response to a question, he said that the caretaker government, which is dealing with people who have fled to the mountains, doesn’t understand the reasons behind it.
“I recall what Musharraf said when Nawab Akbar Khan Bugti’s house was targeted, and he went to the mountains. Those in power have yet to come to their senses.”
Mengal highlighted that major political parties in Pakistan have never given priority to Balochistan, and the current farce is intended to bring favorable individuals into the assemblies.
It’s worth noting that Mr Mengal’s nominations for two national assembly seats and a provincial constituency were rejected due to a UAE Aqama.