The Pakistani military has admitted that 7 of its personnel including an officer were killed and others injured in a single day in Balochistan.
ISPR, the public relations department of Pakistani military, confirmed on Tuesday that seven personnel including a junior commissioned officer (JCO) were killed in two separate incidents on Monday.
In a deadly attack in Bolan five soldiers and an officer were killed after their vehicle hit an improvised explosive device. The incident, which happened in Pir Ghaib area, left the vehicle totally destroyed.
ISPR also released the names of the personnel killed in the attack, which include:
- Naib Subedar Ihsan Ullah Khan (JCO)
- Naik Zubair Khan
- Naik Ijaz Ahmed
- Naik Maula Bux
- Naik Noor Muhammad
- Abdul Jabbar
In a separate incident in Mand, Kech a soldier named as Imdad Ali also lost his life in an exchange with armed assailants.
Earlier on Monday the responsibility for IED attack in Pir Ghaib was taken by armed outfit, United Baloch Army (UBA), whereas, Baloch Republican Army (BRA) said it was behind the assault in Mand.
Both UBA and BRA claim they are fighting for the “freedom of Balochistan from Pakistani occupation.” Pakistan blames India for sponsoring and stirring up anti-Pakistan sentiments in Balochistan, however, it has failed to produce any evidence on international arena.
The month of May has proved as one of the deadliest for Pakistani military in Balochistan. 10 days before yesterday’s attack on 8th May a Pakistani military personnel carrier vehicle was hit by an IED in another area of Kech. At least six personnel including a senior officer of Pakistani Army, Majoor Nadeem, was killed in the attack. Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) had claimed responsibility for that attack.
BLA’s spokesperson Jeeyand Baloch, in a statement released to media, had said that Major Nadeem was the primary target of the attack. The armed outfit also released video of the attack, in which it claims to target the Pakistani military officer in a “special operation”. BLA accuses Major Nadeem of “killing civilians, burning villages and drug dealings” in the video.
On other hand, Pakistani officials have strongly condemned the attacks and have vowed to take revenge. ZiaUllah Langove, the home minister of Balochistan, said on Tuesday that the “murderers will be brought to justice”. Jam Kamal, the chief minister of Balochistan, blamed India and said Balochistan will not be allowed to become a “victim of Indian designs”.
Balochistan, which was annexed with Pakistan in March 1948, has been home to several armed freedom movements in last seven decades. Humanitarian organisations have also reported “grave violations of human rights” in the resource-rich but underdeveloped region.